Every Sunday we bring you TBB’s Best of Web links. Today we have an incredible story about a mega Russian Ponzi MMM scheme that went on for many years, a great interview about the Artificial Intelligence race that is happening, some needed Trump era psychology lessons, how our world is getting better and look at amazing pictures of unusual homes.
TBB Blog Mission: To Educate. Entertain. Inspire. In That Order!
Support TBB by applying for CREDIT CARDS, shopping with our AMAZON AFFILIATE LINK & clicking our REFERRAL LINKS
As always, click on the headline to be taken to the original source. Sometimes I insert my incendiary comments on article excerpts between [brackets].
If you enjoy my blog, please pass it on to someone you care about so they can enjoy it too. If you don’t enjoy it and still read or troll the comments, you have issues, please seek help.
This story will blow you away. I was blown away. But then again, maybe not. We are all different.
It is amazing to realize how many suckers are out there who want to be separated from their money! Ever since this planet was invented. Greed is a very powerful emotion! You can be responsible all you can but when you give money to such assholes like this guy what the hell do you expect?
What is shocking is how this went on for so long and how it morphed to adapt to technology. Which means a pivot to crypto of course! And how it skirted regulation and compliance laws. It is a wild story. And deeply disturbing! And watching the television advertisements with these characters showing off how much money they made and then…you just keep shaking your head. If you will only do one thing please watch these advertisements. No doubt they will shock you.
No excerpts. Read it all.
There are some recurring themes in my blog. One of them is how the technology is advancing way too fast. You know, AI and robots and stuff like that. So I bring you another gem to make you THINK. I don’t do clickbait crap about incidents inside airplanes with shocking videos, I despise this stuff with passion!
In an interview, best-selling author and machine-learning expert Pedro Domingos discusses the global competition to take the lead in artificial intelligence, the advance of autocrats and the threats modern technology presents to Western democracies
Very insightful. How different countries approach this. The big tech companies. Privacy. Cultural issues. Autocracy vs democracy. I really enjoyed this. We may be losing it with all what is happening around the world (Trump) but for some reason I remain optimistic that this will be used to enhance humanity rather than harm it. But I am not sure for how long 🙂
DER SPIEGEL: So, in the long run, it’s about who controls the machines?
Domingos: Exactly. History shows how ready and willing we are to obey leaders and do what the gods say. We are psychologically totally prepared to put things in the hands of AI, even though we shouldn’t. But in the end, it’s not AI making the decisions, it is those who control AI. Who will be steering the major algorithms? Is it us — or is it Xi Jinping? That’s the question.
We live in unprecedented times. Every day is like a wild ride in the Trump era. I had said there were two positives with Trump being elected President of the United States. One is it will not be boring. Two is I tell my kids that yes you can become President too! I mean, if Trump can become President, what is there to stop anyone? So, thanks Donnie I guess 🙂
This is very insightful of what American politics is going through at this time. You will enjoy it. Before the right wingers dismiss it without giving it a chance…maybe THAT is part of the problem. Send me right wing stuff to read, I love opposing views. Maybe I am wrong. I consider that ALWAYS. Maybe you should too before you close down everything and watch…Fox News lol.
You are in for a treat…
As it has matured, the Trump era of conservative politics is increasingly defined by its tribalism and fear and the fracturing of our sense of a shared reality.
- Rooting for a team alters your perception of the world.
- We can be immune to uncomfortable facts.
- Leaders like Trump have special powers to sway public opinion.
- People don’t often make decisions based on the truth.
- Political opponents are often really, really bad at arguing with one another.
- White people’s fear of being replaced is incredibly powerful.
- It’s shockingly easy to grow numb to mass suffering.
- Fake news preys on our biases — and will be very hard to stamp out.
- Conspiracy theories may be rampant, but they’re a specific reaction to a dark, uncertain world.
We are all living in a perpetual echo chamber…
Enough depressing material this Sunday morning. Time to uplift and inspire you. Because, inspiring you is part of the mission of my blog. Sometimes, we need to realize that we are living in unprecedented good times and humanity will indeed work out its problems and keep progressing. You may not realize it sometimes because I like to whine a bit but I am all in on humanity keep making the world better. And you do your part by clicking on my Sapphire Preferred card link. Bwahahahaha…Sorry, I could not resist this joke 🙂
Here are the first ten:
1. Over the last 20 years, the proportion of people living in extreme poverty has almost been cut in half.
2. Just 200 years ago, 85% of the world population lived in extreme poverty. 20 years ago it was 29%. Today only 9% live in extreme poverty while the majority of people (75%) around the globe live in middle-income countries.
3. In 1997, 42% of the population of both India and China were living in extreme poverty. By 2017 that share had dropped to 12% and less than 1% for India and China, respectively. That means almost three-quarters of a billion fewer people are living in extreme poverty in these two countries than there were just 20 years earlier.
4. In 1800, among all babies who were ever born, roughly half died during their childhood. Life expectancy was just 30 years and no country had a life expectancy above 40. Life expectancy at birth was only 45 years in 1870. The average life expectancy around the world today is 72.
5. The violent crime rate has been on a downward trend since 1990 in the U.S. Just under 14.5 million crimes were reported in 1990. By 2016 that figure was well under 9.5 million.
6. The number of deaths from natural disasters is 25% of what it was 100 years ago.
7. Flying has gotten 2,100 times safer over the past 70 years. 2016 was the second safest year in aviation history. The odds of being fatally injured in a plane crash are just 0.000025%.
8. The real price of plane travel in the U.S. has fallen by more than half since the late 1970s.
9. Between the late Middle Ages and the 20th century, European countries saw a 10-fold-to-50-fold decline in their rates of homicide.
10. The share of homes that had electricity in 1870 was exactly zero. Today the proportion of people with electricity is 85%.
For another forty awesome ways click the headline.
Another theme in my blog is that I care about your eyes. As in I like you to look at images that will awe you. With every post. Because…like I said, I care about your eyes. For your eyes only. That was a Bond film title by the way. Whatever. These homes are awesome, your eyes enjoy the feast…
Rumors abound that this Liu guy was a blogger who refused to pump his readers with affiliate links at every post…so sad! 🙂
The music world lost a legend over the weekend. RIP Charles Neville. Here is one my favorite songs:
And I leave you with this…
Follow TBB on Twitter @FlyerTalkerinA2
You can subscribe to TBB below, winners only!
Opinions expressed here are author’s alone, not those of any bank, credit card issuer, hotel, airline, or other entity. This content has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of the entities included within the post.