It’s been a while (since April 2014 in Maui!) but the time has come for another trip. This time TBB is hacking a trip to Hong Kong in First Class & luxury hotels for about 227,750 miles/points and it’s FREE!
TBB Blog Mission: To Entertain. Educate. Inspire. In That Order!
Here is what I managed to do with my miles/points:
- 70,000 United Miles & $39.70 in taxes/fees for Detroit to Frankfurt on Lufthansa in Business Class AND Frankfurt to Bangkok on Thai Airways A380 in First Class AND Bangkok to Hong Kong on Thai Airways in First Class [UPDATE: Lufthansa canceled my flight due to the pilot strike! I managed to get rebooked on Air France Detroit to Paris in Business Class and then still flew on the A380 in Thai Airways First Class and on to Hong Kong as previously arranged. I earned 5,943 Delta Skymiles on the AF flight, thanks Lufthansa!]
- 42,000 Hyatt Gold Passport points for 2 nights in a Club room at the Hyatt Regency Tsim Sha Tsui
- 45,000 IHG Rewards points for 1 night at the Intercontinental Hong Kong
- 1 more night at the Intercontinental Hong Kong using an IHG Rewards Visa card anniversary night
- 60,750 AA miles (less 10% rebate due to AA card) & $63 in taxes/fees for Hong Kong to New York City JFK on Cathay Pacific in First Class and then New York City LaGuardia to Detroit on American in First Class
- 10,000 Starwood SPG points for one night in the New York City JFK Sheraton (late night arrival)
Layovers are 6 hours in Frankfurt and 8 hours in Bangkok. They are that long on purpose to maximize time in the lounges. I can’t wait for my massage in the Thai Airways First Class Lounge finally in the Bangkok BKK airport!
All taxes & fees were reimbursed using Barclaycard Arrival points by the way so, in a heavily biased way, this trip is FREE! I will conveniently neglect the time and costs involved in earning all these points but let’s just assume all of them were earned with credit card signing bonuses shall we? 🙂 Which is true for the most part!
I was hoping to finally experience the Lufthansa First Class and started checking the ANA website to see when an F seat is available so I can call United to switch me to it from my Business Class seat. Only to find out from a reader that the Detroit to Frankfurt flight does not operate in F, only Business! I may be able to snag an F seat but I will only have the Business Class meals. Ok, I am not complaining you guys, I just wanted to see what the fuss is all about! I am not going to write an angry rant about it like some other bloggers, I am grateful for the opportunity to do this.
At the end of the day, all these miles and points we collect we do it for…this! To get away and explore the world around us. I am always so excited to be…taking off and just roaming the streets in a new city. It is incredibly invigorating and liberating. I always come back so…refreshed and ready to…replenish my miles/points balances lol.
I have done pretty good research on what to see/eat/do in Hong Kong. Good friend’s sister lives here and works for Vogue magazine and will look into getting me in one of the model photo shoots, definitely one of the items in my bucket list 🙂 I may get to meet a few colleagues and a guy from my hometown who moved to HK two years ago.
Blog posts with ongoing reviews of blog content will be disrupted. Responding to comments will also be affected too so sorry about that in advance. So you super pumping blogger…pump all you want while I am over dosing on Dim Sum and other delicacies! Blog Buzz may morph and appear in the TBB comments like it did the day before!
I have no idea when a full trip report will be posted here, probably never at this rate lol. For all TBB action as it happens on the trip I recommend you follow me on Twitter!
I have posts scheduled through
Sunday Monday of next week and will do my best to get one posted every day until my return! No one will accuse me of mailing them in (okay, one is a total filler job…just one!). And I have a surprise one of these days: A trip report from Star Mega DO 2 back in 2010 with pictures never seen before! It contains some bloggers in compromising positions #mysterioushint.
Best thing that was posted in the blogs all day Tuesday December 2nd was this by Travel Is Free on Master Chart of What Sites Search Airline Award Availability I bookmarked it!
And I leave with you…Chris Farley!
Please pass my blog link to your friends and family if you think they will enjoy it too.